Crew Leader (P4)
Reports to: Project Manager / Field Manager
Supervises: Apprentice Painters (AP), Painters (P1), Journey Painters (P2), & Lead Painters (P3)
Conducts job site walk with Project Manager and reviews preparation level, job site activities, and labor needed. Coordinates the work activities for a small to large crew of painters while remaining in the tools themselves. Prepares work area including taping, masking, patching holes, skim coating, blending texture, sanding, and pressure washing as necessary. Trains new painters on the quality standards and desired painting methods used by BKP. Oversees and maintains job site safety. Establishes a good working relationship with customers and team members. Communicates daily to Project Manager, team, and customer regarding job status. Provides the highest quality of customer service while maintaining our core values of Service, Integrity and Value. Performs other duties as assigned.
About Our Company
Since 1958, Bob Kunst Painting has provided high-quality, long-lasting finishes for homeowners, property managers, contractors, and designers who demand the absolute highest quality service. By combining time-honored techniques from painters of the past with the best modern materials, our awesome team is second-to-none because they are encouraged to take pride and satisfaction in their work. Our customers love us because we are good people who happen to be painters.
- Perform pre-painting job walks for clear understanding of scope of work and material/labor needs.
- Coordinate work activities and set daily goals for your team.
- Perform painting techniques in an accurate and efficient manner while maintaining cleanliness and safety.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with customers, vendors, general contractors etc. Acts as the on-site customer relations specialist.
- Determine the best method to complete the job based on customer requirements and meet with Project Manager to review work order instructions.
- Understand equipment policies, procedures, and strategies to ensure safety. Conduct equipment check and ensure equipment is functioning. Train lower level team members on equipment use as necessary.
- Verify materials and equipment and coordinate additional supplies with Project Manager.
- Direct, review, demonstrate, or influence crew in the performance of assigned work.
- Provide painters with training on the company’s quality standards and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Establish good working relationships with teammates and communicate company policies and correspondence in a clear, concise, and timely manner.
- Ensure teammates adhere to all company policies and procedures, and contact Project Manager when non-compliance occurs.
- Oversee, maintain, and enforce job site safety; complete site safety plans and conduct toolbox safety training in the safety app.
- Ensure extras and additional customer requirements (beyond the scope of work) are reported to the Project Manager/Estimator
- Complete checklists and enter appropriate notes in the Workglue app as assigned.
- Enter daily job logs into Workglue App
- Monitor and assess performance of yourself and others to make improvements or take corrective action.
Education / Certification
- Any combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of this job.
- Must possess valid California driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Pass criminal background check (when required).
- Pass BKP Grip test
- Pass BKP P3 test
- Seven (7) plus years of relevant work experience in residential/commercial painting with an emphasis on customer service, Crew Leader functions, and experience in training others. Strong communication skills. Experience running small to large sized projects with multiple crew members.
Smartphone / Mobile Device
- Must have a smartphone to connect to the Workglue mobile field app. Monthly stipend provided by BKP.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of (B/basic; J/journey; E/expert)
- Project management concepts and techniques (J)
- Customer service concepts and techniques (E)
- BKP Standard Operating Procedures (E)
- Quality standard concepts and techniques (E)
- Communicate and follow instructions both verbally and in writing (E)
Respect and maintenance of company tools
- Plans and gives proper notice and follows procedure when checking out equipment or making transfers.
- Secures company tools daily, tracks equipment to ensure retention and transfers equipment when moving from one job to another.
- Leaves tools in good working condition after use and reports tools that need repair to Project Manager or Shop Manager ASAP
- Has solid leadership skills with crew and leads by example.
- Inspires, trains, and encourages crew members.
- Leads crew with a positive attitude while maintaining accountability.
- Evaluates crew and reports accurate and complete feedback to Project Manager for performance management process.
Skill and ability to
- Coordinate and inspire team members in a team-based environment.
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with internal and external customers verbally and in writing.
- Read and process written information with a high degree of accuracy in English.
- Work effectively in a construction site environment, with a focus on high levels of quality and customer service.
- Ability to travel via automobile.
- Transport personal tools and required equipment to the jobsite.
- Management of material resources
- Actively listen, take time to understand the points that are being made, and ask questions as appropriate.
- Efficient time management
- Ability to lift, bend, and carry 30-50 lbs. frequently.
- Ability to carry 1 to 2 five-gallon buckets of paint occasionally and tools frequently.
- Ability to walk, bend and stretch frequently.
- Ability to set up and climb ladders and scaffolding.